The Gylemuir Summer Fair is being held this Saturday 20th May and it’s not too late to bring in your donations or offer your services as a helper.
Donations of books, toys and homebaking will be gratefully received, or if you can come along to offer assistance at any point during the day please let your child’s teacher know or mention it at the office.
The fair will be on in the school and grounds between 11am and 1.30pm.
The Gylemuir Reading Jars have arrived at the office!
Whenever you read something for enjoyment (book, magazine, comic, blog, match report etc.) write it down in your Reading Challenge Book (Nursery – P3) or your Reading Passport (P4-P7) and show your teacher. You will then be given a reading token to add to your year group’s jar. The winning year group at the end of the term will win a special prize from Mrs Smart!
Happy reading J
Now that the Easter break is out of the way we are all looking forward to the Gylemuir Summer Fair. The fair is to be held on Saturday 20th May and will once again be organised by the Friends of Gylemuir. The fair will be on in the school and grounds between 11am and 1.30pm.
As always, we’re on the look out for helpers who can assist with setting up & tidying up, as well as people to help out during opening hours. If you can come along to offer assistance for even an hour or so at any point during the day please let your child’s teacher know or mention it at the office.
We’re also looking for donations of items for stalls. If you would like to donate books or toys please bring them to school the week beginning Monday 15th May. If you want do discover your inner Mary Berry and donate some homebaking then please bring that to school on Thursday 18th or Friday 19th May.
With Easter Holidays almost here we hope everyone has a chance to recharge the batteries during the first two weeks in April. However, there is lots to do around the local area – much of it free – so why not try out some of the activities below? Whatever you choose, have a great holiday!
- Edinburgh Zoo – right on our doorstep and with a whole host of special events taking place during April, the Zoo is a great place for a visit .
- Edinburgh International Science Festival – the Science Festival runs throughout the holidays with loads of fascinating events and experiments – many free – for all the family.
- National Museum of Scotland – in addition to all the usual wonderful exhibits on display, the Museum has special exhibitions and events on.
- Easter Sports Camps – book a day, or a week, of sporting activities at one of the camps going in Gylemuir or Forrester High School next week.
- Lauriston Castle – another fascinating place to visit which is not too far away from the school.
- Avengers Assemble! – with the new Avengers film being shot in Edinburgh, why not take a trip into the area around The Royal Mile to see if you can catch a glimpse of some of the sets…or maybe even the filming?!
- Corstorphine Hill – if you want to get out and enjoy the spring sunshine, why not take a walk up the hill into Corstorphine Woods? You can visit the walled garden, see the tower, seek out wildlife or even try orienteering.
- Water of Leith – another lovely way to spend a day is walking or cycling part of the Water of Leith. You can get on and off the path at various places – try hopping on at Roseburn and enjoying the sights and sounds as you stroll to the Dean Village, or access the path by the visitor centre at Longstone, take a picnic and and feel like you’re in the countryside as you head in the other direction toward Balerno. There are also various planned activites for families throughout April.
As we near the Easter Holidays we thought we’d share some pictures showing just a few of the things which have been happening around the school over the last couple of months. Remember you can see other snaps, and find out more about what the different year groups have been doing, by visiting the Class Pages.